One night last week i sat down at my pc and thought: Okay, put the flash away for a moment and learn some html5. Let's get some hacking down with that canvas element. And after five minutes ye good old pre-ecma-script code practices where inlining in my dreamweaver. Wanting to completely focus on the functioning of the canvas element, i thought it would be a good idea to port some existing code from flash that relies only on the drawing-api. So i took some code from this as2.0 book and remixed the pattern a little bit till it was more a cubestyle thing. I tested it in Chrome, Opera, Safari and Firefox. All with smooth animations. And then i went to sleep.
Next morning i was at this electronics store where four iPads were getting a lot of attention. Not having one of my own i walked up to one and tested my nightly build html5 demo. The safari browser rendered 2 images of the animation and then froze. I tried to tap into the canvas, but it choked so badly, that i had to exit the page.
So you see the html5 vs flash puzzle in my mind has become a little bit more complicated.
Update after almost 1.5 years: i've added some new ipad tweaks which i wasn't aware about at that time. 1: setting the viewport in the header so the canvas doesn't scale. 2: when the orientation of the device changes resize the canvas. And 3: listen for touch-events instead of mouse-events. Still need to test it on Android again though.